A dog with a sensitive stomach is often hard to manage. It isn’t just the dog who has to be dealt with but also the food that he eats. There are many commercially produced feeds that can help keep your dog’s digestive system balanced however it might be more beneficial for you and your pet if you pick up something simple from your local grocery store.
It is important to ensure that the dog is getting enough nutrients from his or her food, there are a few things that you can add into your dog’s current feed which will help prevent any problems with your friend’s digestive system. Add one of these foods to your pet’s daily meal and watch for positive results immediately:
1. Yogurt – Yogurt is a healthy alternative that can help keep your dog’s digestive system at a normal level. This healthy bacteria will reduce the acid in your pet’s stomach and prevent any long-term damage from occurring. Give around two tablespoons of yogurt for every ten pounds that your pooch weighs.
2. Rice – Rice is a grain that is very easy to digest. It also doesn’t contain any allergy-causing ingredients which might be found in other types of commercial feed. You can mix around one part rice to four parts regular dog food without worrying about the nutritional value dropping too low.
3. Apples – Both apples and apple sauce contain high levels of soluble fiber which makes it easy for your dog to digest. It will also keep your dog full for a long period of time so that there is less chance of him or her overeating.
4. Green Beans – Treat your pup to some green beans, this vegetable is excellent at helping stop the formation of any gas in the stomach. It also contains high levels of calcium which is beneficial to your pooch’s health.
5. Carrots – Carrots are a great source of dietary fiber for dogs, this fiber helps keep the dog’s digestive tract moving smoothly by preventing his or her system from becoming clogged up with food.
6. Potatoes – You can feed your dog potatoes however there are a few things that you have to remember. Potatoes should never be given raw, they must be boiled first to remove the starch which is causing problems for dogs. Also, if you give your pup too many potatoes he or she might develop diarrhea so keep it to small amounts.
7. Bananas – Dogs love bananas which is good for your pet as it contains high levels of magnesium and potassium which will help keep a sick dog’s energy levels up. It also contains dietary fiber which can bind with toxins in the stomach to help prevent upset stomachs from occurring. Be careful though, if you give a dog too many bananas it could cause diarrhea.
8. Grapes – Dogs also love grapes, but these fruits are poisonous to dogs so don’t try giving your pet any at home or you might end up with a sick dog who needs expensive treatment. Similar to the banana, it is essential that the grapes are given in moderation because they can cause diarrhea.
9. Pumpkin – Pumpkins are another excellent food to give your pooch, it is very rich in fiber which will help keep his or her digestive tract moving smoothly and prevent constipation from occurring. Try mashing up the pumpkin with some water to make a fresh-tasting treat for your dog. Not only will he or she love it, there are also high levels of vitamin A and antioxidants which will help boost your pup’s immune system.
10. Oatmeal – Dogs benefit from oatmeal in the same way that humans do, this food contains soluble fiber which can help regulate digestion. It is rich in B vitamins as well as niacin, thiamin, and iron which are all great for maintaining healthy energy levels.